Sunday 16 December 2012

Airfix Mosquito Assembly/Painting WIP (Part II)

The Mosquito gets an "anti-shipping" (aka Mk VI version) camouflage pattern, grey irregular waves using Tamiya XF-82 (Ocean Gray 2 [RAF]) that gives a nice deep gray though slightly shiny no matter how much I stir the pot (satin perhaps, see below?):


I still need to work on the perspex (see below), I may have to go out and get myself a Games Workshop Chaos Black as despite my previous protestations, it does cover bare plastic very well and I need some sharp black strands to mark the strips of metal:


The second part of the camouflage "wave" scheme is a more standard Tamiya XF-61 Dark Green (see below):


I'm in two minds how to go next, as to whether I leave it with a standard one coat paint job (as per the 1/48 scale Spitfire I made) or lighten parts of it up (as per my usual 1/72 scale small to medium sized kits)

Decisions, decisions ... 

4 comments:

Tim Gow said...

It looks pretty good to me! Among the clutter on my own table is a old and very sorry looking Mossie which I am repairing for use in a game.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Hmm,what sort of game Tim,I have plans for a "633 Squadron" attack in the fjords but was going to be using a squadron of tiny 1/300 scale models instead ... a project for 2014 perhaps

Paul said...

Nice work Geordie! The one coat scheme seems to be working a treat to me!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

I think I'll go for the decals next (trying the Airfix tip of putting a small bit of Gloss varnish on the decal area first) then play around with a minor touch up

I may even try the patent NZ weather aluminum joint trick ;)