Tuesday 3 September 2013

RN J-K Class Destroyer: HMS Kipling (Revell 1/700 Kit - HMS Kelly Variant)

This is a nice little kit. Many a fiddly part to it but it is nevertheless a welcome addition to the 1/600 to 1/720 "little big ship" range bulging out my loft (see below):


I opted for the 1940's HMS Kipling (Home Fleet) version in preference to the HMS Kelly (Mediterranean) version as it was more slightly suited to the "Phoney War to Dunkirk" era. She is a lovely ship in profile (see below): 


The only problem to the assembly came in the form of a missing "gun shield" that could not be found in the packet anywhere and I presume must have been a casualty in factory handling (see rear gun turret below, bottom left of photograph):


Still the German based "spares department" has promised to deliver the missing part in two-six weeks. Is it coming by U-Boat?

Still it is a lovely model and I plan to get "at least" another to make the HMS Kelly variant (and I could easily go on to fit out a flotilla if pushed).

5 comments:

Paul Foster said...

I love the "Is it coming by U-Boat?" phrase Geordie.

She is a looker mate!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Geordie,
Do you remember the name of the retailer that you purchased the model from? My father in law had an uncle who served and unfortunately was a casualty of HMS Kipling and I've been trying for some time to get hold of the kit to build as a gift for him. Any help tracking one down would be much appreciated
Regards
Mick

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Hello Mick,

Well, it is some time ago now (2013) but I got my model from either a model shop in Stratford Upon Avon that has sadly since closed down or from the high street shop called "The Works" (as a random end of stock event passing through their shop - again ages ago). Looking via Google you have a better chance of getting one from a "non-silly price" from Belgium-Holland:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-05120-hms-kelly-hms-kipling--169032

Sadly although the link said they "were in stock" the detail page said out of stock:

https://www.modelers-heaven.be/nl/hms-kelly05120-nl.html/

:(

I will dig around in my loft and see what I can find, I know I was trying to get a hold of another one but cannot remember if I was successful or not (it was back in 2012)!

Best Wishes
Mark

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

I should have said from my looking at the Revell site the 1/700 range does not seem to be in production :(