Tuesday 18 March 2014

The commissioning of HMS Canopus (80 Guns)

I have been putting this off for a while now but I faced my fears as in "Napoleonic Ship Rigging". HMS Canopus is put through her rigging paces, firstly with her bow-spit (see below):


Then her fore and mizzen masts, see the innocuous spidery threads appearing (see below):


Tip: It was so much easier having pre-drilled (some but sadly not all) 'thread holes' on the ship before I started attaching the masts and sails (see below):  


Tricky business but thankfully I have a cup of char to hand as HMS Thunderer and HMS Canopus share a berth together (see below):


The aft mast and sail is stuck firmly into its place (see below). Sadly I had forgotten to drill the wholes associated with rearmost mast ropes so there was a 'tense moment' as I had to add another couple of holes.With all three masts in place she is coming together rather nicely (see below):


Half of the RN squadron is now constructed, with another (74) and (100 aka HMS Victory) still to do. Both completed ships (HMS Canopus [left] and HMS Thunderer) really need a 'flag' and I need to figure how to put on some "ratlines" running up from the base of each mast to add a touch of class to the model (see below):  


A little closer look at HMS Canopus. The central rigging does add a bit of much needed internal strength to hold the masts together (see below):


Apologies for any incorrect or misuse of nautical terminology. That is two down and just another "six" (Napoleonic battleships) to go, but I am short of "frigates" so I may have to invest in another Navwar "Fleet Pack" nearer my birthday

Note: As this is way off in the autumn it gives me a fighting chance to complete the "six that are on the stocks" first.

;)

3 comments:

Phil said...

Beautiful!

Sun of York said...

Impressive. I've yet to give serious thought to rigging my recent acquired Sails of Glory ships. I like the idea of detailing them, but not sure the end result will justify the effort - it will be interesting to see your ships in action perhaps in a future post?

I see these ships are 1/1200th. That should go well with Sails of Glory. I've only had a few games but have been impressed by the system. I would like to be able to show damage to a ship and that would preclude rigging so I could remove masts.

Very interesting project!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Thanks Phil, it is a steep learning curve with these little ships and I am still merely on the foothills

I am trying to keep it simple ;)

Sun of York, I have heard impressive tales of Sails of Glory and hope to play them soon

PS:
Your wish of an after action report may come sooner than you think as you only need "two to tango" ;)