Sunday 21 December 2014

Benefits of an Attic Clear-out Come my Way: Space Crusade and Battle of Britain

My brother's attic received a pre-Xmas clear out (as in "What are things that are not Xmas decorations doing in this pile?") and I was the lucky beneficiary of two old, old games dating back to the late 1980's/early 1990's (see below):


Space Crusade is missing a few parts (notably a Dreadnought model and lots of counters) but the Battle of Britain is in pretty much mint condition (I remember playing it once). A detailed "unboxing" will come later. However I am torn between keeping Space Crusade as a "Collectors edition" for future episodes of "Antique Roadshow" in 2100. I think it is pretty much as given that I will "devalue it" and paint the 'dodgy' miniatures ;)

The notion of using my small collection GW miniatures as fill-ins and extras also makes common sense to me!

4 comments:

Mad Padre said...

Wow. I'm very envious of the TSR game. It was a Richard Borg design that got good press in it's day for being playable and simple, long out of print. Enjoy it!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

It looks quite cute with its plastic counters, 1/300 Spitfires and Me109's

With a little investment in Hurricanes, Gloster Gladiators and Blenheim Fighters, Me110's, Ju88's and He111's it could be a nice demonstration game

There are two versions of play basic (which I played against my nephew many moons ago and lost as the Luftwaffe) and advanced (which looks like it has a lot more colour and dice rolling)

Monty said...

I used to own Space Crusade, but don't know what happened to it...ho hum...nice discovery though ;)

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Hello Monty,

I always thought that Space Crusade was a bit like Hero Quest in that it is a game that you should be able to play in a night with a few beers and crisps thrown in ;)