Monday 5 December 2016

Matilda 11: Close Support Tank .. WIP

Originally I had intended to convert a standard Airfix Matilda II into a Matilda II CS version cannibalising spare bits from the Hasagawa Churchill I/II kits I had previously made (some twenty years ago). These all came with a 3" hull mounted howitzer in the Churchill I configuration. However just prior to my 'model knife cutting sprue' I happened bu chance to a wargame show (Parade Ground 2016, Stockton/Middlesbrough) and via the Grubby Tanks stall picked up this little chap (see below). I noted in the kit description the CS Howitzer was actually 3.7 inch so the intended bit of plastic I was planning to use might well have looked "short and silly". Also resin is quicker (90% done) than a model kit to build so the idea was sold in my head and a purchase made (see below, bottom left long barrel is teh 3.7" howitzer in metal):


A pleasant by product of this is that the three unmade Airfix Matilda's can now be assigned to other projects:

  • The Russian Front, a pair of whitewashed Matilda's sent via the Arctic Convoys to help Russia in 1941/42 (and also play on old Wargames Illustrated scenario I have wanted to do for years, though it will also mean the purchase of some SHQ Aerosans .. not a bad thing)
  • The Pacific Front, a Matilda Frog (flamethrower) variant which requires a bit of modelling on my part) and perhaps a normal Matilda to stand guard over the other two (which means one 'final' Matilda purchase .. which should help Airfix out in its current financial situation)

Watch this space in 2017!

3 comments:

Service Ration Distribution (Hobby) said...

Yup, resin one's are 90% done and reasonable value to boot. Still, I love the old Airfix. Good luck.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Cheers SRD
Hope Santa fills your stockings with goodies

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

PS I did forget how much sanding and "filling" there was on resin kits