Thursday 25 May 2017

Fw 190A-8 Gets its Decals

Following on from the practice on the Space Marines the DecalFix comes out for the Fw190's decals. The practise has helped, topside first (see below):


Next the "belly" (see below, note I have not gone for the 'drop tank variant but the smooth underside instead);


Finally the daunting "nose cone spiral"! Boy was I glad of the Space Marine practice with the fiddly bits and curved surfaces):


I was happy with the end result but dis have to extend the white line with a bit of paint at the base of the nose cone. I was relieved to finish the whole process and put a Matt Varnish over it as soon as possible.

I need now to do a small repair job to the silly bit of plastic that "fell off" the wing (not a 20mm cannon but on the extreme wing tip [radio?]) when my youngest son was inspecting it!

4 comments:

Tim Gow said...

Very tidy!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Yes, I would have messed up for sure if I had not practised on something I did not really care about.

Almost finished, a small "wing thing" to repair then time to hang it on my son's ceiling

One thing that is missing are the "historical" swastikas on the tail
EU forbade them
A symbol to incite .. string feelings certainly

However is seems a bad step away from good historical representation and a side step towards fake new :(

Baconfat said...

Well you've mastered decals. They don't look obvious at all.

The spiral is great too. I fear both painting details on round surfaces and decals.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Cheers Baconfat

I lose my nerves by just "playing with Sci-Fi"
Then I can "just go for it"

Agreed, both your fears are mine to
Sometimes we go for too much perfections
In reality military kit is full of "tardiness"